ADVERTISEMENT

Deputy President David Mabuza will deliver a keynote address at the close of the 9th SA AIDS conference in Durban on Friday. Mabuza is the chairperson of the South African National AIDS Council (SANAC).

The four day conference started on Tuesday with a march by SANAC calling for the promotion of human rights and respect in South Africa. The second and third day of the conference gave the more than 3000 delegates an opportunity to deliberate and discuss innovative scientific, social and digital technologies that could help to control the HIV/AIDS epidemic.

Conference Chair – Prof Refilwe Phaswana-Mafuya says HIV remains a crisis as the number of new infections, especially among the youth, is still increasing.

“We cannot assume or be satisfied or complacent that the epidemic is over when the statistics tell us a different story. The fact that we got about 37 million people living with HIV/Aids across the world, 7,2 million of which are South African and only about 4,4 million receiving treatment which is about 60% means that the other 40% that is still not accessing treatment is left to died.”

 

CONNECT WITH US

icon-youtube-long
icon-facebook-long
icon-twitter-long
icon-googleplus-long

Social Media

fb-link
youtube-link
twitter-link
linkin-link